Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay money out of my own pocket to hire an attorney for my case?
No. If you have been in an accident you need to report it to your insurance company immediately. If you are at fault and are sued, your insurance company will hire an attorney for you at no cost to you. If you have been injured, we can represent you and are only paid if you recover for your injuries.

How is my attorney compensated?
Under a contingency fee agreement, an attorney is paid only if you receive money for your injuries. The agreement is regulated by the Florida Bar and the typical percentage is 33 1/3% if the case is settled without the necessity of filing a lawsuit.

Can the attorney meet me at another location to go over my case?
Yes. Following an accident, you may not be able to travel to an attorney’s office. We are more than happy to meet our clients wherever it is most convenient for them whether at home, the hospital, or the rehabilitation center.

Who will handle my case in the event that my lawsuit goes to trial?
The attorneys at Caglianone & Miller will handle your case from beginning to end.

What experience do you have handling legal matters like mine?
We have more than 50 years combined experience in handling injury cases. We are AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating) and are board certified in civil trial law by the Florida Bar.

Do you have any special credentials in this practice area?
Yes. We are board certified by the Florida Bar in civil trial law.

Do you have a written agreement for representation that I can read beforehand?
Yes. We will always be open and up front with you in regards to your rights.

How will you charge me for your services?
It depends upon your case, your particular needs and what serves your best interests. We can work with you whether it be an hourly rate or a contingency fee arrangement.

Do I have to file a lawsuit or go to trial?
No. Actually, most cases can be resolved through careful, deliberate and effective negotiation. We have to prepare each case as if it is going to trial. It is through that intense preparation that creates leverage and creates a situation in which we are in the best position to effectively negotiate your case.

What is Uninsured Motorist coverage?
Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage is purchased through your own insurance company. It is a policy that provides monetary benefits to you in case the person that causes the accident does not have insurance available to pay for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Do I need Uninsured Motorist coverage?
Yes. It is the one policy that is there to protect you and your family if you are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.

What are Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits?
This is insurance coverage which is required under Florida law. It pays for your medical benefits and lost wages if you are involved in an accident and pays regardless of fault. The policy pays 80% of your medical bills and 66 2/3% of your lost wages up to $10,000. The legislature recently amended Florida PIP law which drastically changes benefits and it is important to talk to an attorney to discuss how those changes affect your benefits.

If I am involved in a motor vehicle accident, how long do I have to file a lawsuit?
In Florida, you have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit.